Dental health care is essential to your overall well-being. Regular dental checkups allow your dentist to identify potential dental or oral health problems you might not know about. It’s easy to ignore mild tooth or gum problems, but leaving them untreated can lead to severe pain and discomfort later on. By allowing your dentist to inspect your teeth and gums regularly, you can prevent problems from occurring and maintain a healthy and beautiful smile.
However, if visiting the dentist is not an option for you, then with the necessary information, you can deep clean your teeth at home.
How can I deep clean my teeth at home?
Before considering deep cleaning your teeth, understanding the purpose of deep cleaning is essential. This process helps remove plaque and tartar from our mouth – leading causes of tooth decay and gum disease. It also enables the assessment of the state of your roots, which regular brushing can’t do.
Steps to Deep Clean Your Teeth
- Oral health can be tricky to manage, but there are some key ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Brushing your teeth two times a day and flossing is essential. A soft toothbrush is best for this task and should be routinely decontaminated to avoid bacterial buildup. Flossing is equally important, as it helps remove food particles from areas our toothbrushes can’t reach. Finally, using a light mouth rinse can help prevent plaque buildup, keeping our mouths clean and healthy.
- Despite how frequently you brush and floss, there are areas in your mouth where the accumulation of plaque and bacteria is inevitable. That’s where dental scaling comes in. Regular scaling and deep cleanings can help protect your teeth and gums from cavities and other issues this buildup could cause.
- For scaling your teeth at home, you will need to have the right tools on hand. However, you will need plenty of practice and patience to use them effectively. Handheld instruments can be tricky to maneuver around your mouth and, without proper care, can cause unintentional cuts and scrapes.
How can I naturally take care of my teeth?
Taking care of the health of your teeth and gums is essential to maintaining a healthy body as a whole. Establishing good oral hygiene habits like daily brushing and flossing is a great place to start, it is not enough. Proper nutrition and diet are critical to keeping your teeth and gums healthy. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is vital to maintaining strong teeth and gums. Avoiding snacks and drinks high in sugar can also help prevent cavities and gum disease. By prioritizing your oral health and making conscious choices about your diet, you can ensure a healthy smile and body for years to come.
Essential Dental Supplies you need to Know About
With the overwhelming amount of dental products in the market, knowing what to choose can be challenging. So, before you pick up any dental product, look for the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance. This symbol ensures that the product has been rigorously tested and verified by the ADA, meaning that all the information on the package is accurate and trustworthy.
When choosing a toothbrush, it’s essential to consider the type of bristles you’ll be using. Toothbrushes come in three varieties: soft, medium, and hard, with hard and medium bristles posing a risk of abrasion to the gums. To avoid this, dentists recommend using gentle circular motions instead of forceful sawing ones. A more convenient option is electric toothbrushes that offer a more effortless way to clean your teeth, especially for those with arthritis and coordination issues. Choosing a toothbrush that properly fits your mouth’s size and shape is crucial to make brushing your teeth easy and comfortable.
Choosing the right toothpaste is crucial in keeping your teeth strong and resisting decay. When selecting toothpaste, look for the ingredient fluoride, which is proven to strengthen tooth enamel and prevent cavities. In addition, some toothpaste formulas contain special ingredients that combat gingivitis, tooth sensitivity, bad breath, and hardened plaque. However, be mindful of overly abrasive toothpaste with additives, such as whitening agents, as they can degrade the tooth enamel.
Flossing is just as crucial as brushing to maintain dental hygiene. While the latter removes surface-level debris, flossing digs deeper to eradicate hidden food particles and bacteria from between the teeth. However, not all flosses are created equal. If you have tight spaces between your molars, waxed floss may be more helpful as it glides seamlessly between your teeth without fraying. Some flosses come with flavors such as mint or cinnamon to make the process more enjoyable. Whatever variety you choose, floss at least once a day to maintain optimal oral health. By preventing plaque buildup and reducing your chances of cavities and gum disease, flossing can help keep your teeth shining bright.
Dental picks and sticks
While dental flossing is an excellent way to eliminate plaque from your teeth, it can be tough to use for some, in which case, there are other interdental cleaning aids that you can use to keep your teeth in peak condition. These products come in mini brushes, picks, and sticks that can effectively clean and remove food and debris between your teeth. Remember not to apply too much pressure when using these products, as it can damage your gums.
Mouthwash is an excellent addition to your dental health routine as it provides extra protection. Mouthwash is available in different varieties, each with a unique purpose. Some are enriched with fluoride, which helps fight against cavities, while others may help reduce plaque occurrence and gingivitis.
Maintaining oral hygiene becomes especially challenging when you have braces or partial dentures, as brushing alone makes many tiny crevices hard to reach. A water flosser is a device that uses a continuous stream of water to flush out food debris and plaque from even the most inaccessible areas of your teeth. This gadget is the perfect assistant for anyone with braces or partial dentures. Pick a model that allows you to adjust the water pressure to suit your comfort level.
Bad breath can be embarrassing for anyone, and a tongue cleaner is a fantastic tool to add to your oral hygiene routine. This dental tool is simple to use and can help to eliminate odor-causing bacteria on your tongue, which can do wonders for your breath.
When to see a Dentist?
While missing a few dentist appointments for other important commitments is common, urgent signs should be addressed, and a dentist should be visited immediately.
- Prolonged toothache – If you have a toothache that does not go away even after weeks, it is a sign that you should make an appointment with the dentist. Various causes may lead to a toothache, so ignoring it will be unwise.
- Ongoing Headache – Jaw issues that lead to a persistent headache should not be ignored as they may indicate an untreated dental problem.
- Bleeding Gums – If every time you brush or floss your teeth, your gums start to bleed, then it is a matter of concern.
- Cracked or chipped tooth – A cracked or chipped tooth becomes extremely sensitive, leading to discomfort every time you eat or drink something hot or cold. You should visit a dentist immediately as a cracked tooth may also bruise your tongue.
- Loose Filling or Crowns – Fillings and crowns are essential in safeguarding teeth from infection and other issues. These dental restorations shield against harmful bacteria, preventing them from damaging your teeth. However, if they become loose or fall out, they must be replaced immediately.
- Abscessed tooth – Ignoring an abscessed tooth or extreme swelling can put your health at risk. These signs of infection indicate something is wrong and must be addressed promptly. While it’s normal to feel nervous about visiting the dentist, seeking treatment to prevent complications is essential.
If you want high-quality, durable dental supplies, trust Optimus Dental Supply, as it has more than 2 decades of experience in dental practice and business entrepreneurship. Optimus Dental Supply understands the importance of quality dental products in providing exceptional patient care. It is fully committed to offering an extensive line of dental supplies from well-known industry brands at highly competitive prices.